Re: gEDA-user: Layer button backgrounds - summary

Andrew Poelstra wrote:

> This might work. So might coloring the text. But this has the
> same problem as putting text in parentheses: at first glance,
> this visual indicator might mean -anything-.

At first glane a lock means something that is not the case here.
Pins/pads, farside and mask are not unlockable. I doubt, that
this is any better for newbie initiation.

> What we need to do with the treeview/swatch widget, is to indicate
> that the swatch still works for toggling visibility, but you can't
> actually select the layer for drawing.

Complex relationships cannot be indicated by simple graphical means.
What can easily be done, is an optical hint that these layers do not
belong to the same class as the upper layers. Simply add some separating
space between them.

Tiny icons add to visual clutter and should only be used for compelling
reasons. I don't see such a compelling reason here.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx