Re: gEDA-user: Preventing elements from appearing in BOM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:09:03 -0400
Ethan Swint <eswint.ramu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/20/2011 11:50 AM, Matthew Lewis wrote:
> > Is there a way to prevent a device from appearing in the BOM and in
> > the XYRS file? The problem I'm trying to solve is that I have a pin
> > defined in my schematic for attaching a wire to the PCB. There is
> > no actual device to be installed. In order to get the pin to show
> > up on PCB's rat's nest, I defined a dummy device with a hole for a
> > footprint. This allows the rat's nest to show that there's
> > something that needs to be added to the PCB layout. The problem now
> > is that the dummy device shows up in the BOM and is also being
> > placed in the gerber XYRS file. So the question is how do I get the
> > hole to be recognized by the rat's nest on PCB, but get omitted
> > from the BOM and the XYRS exports?
> >
> I usually put 'DNP' for 'Do Not Populate' in the 'Value' attribute
> and append a note in the file to that effect.  Most assembly houses
> know and work around that.  If not, then you get to write a handy
> script to scrub DNP lines or do it manually.
> > I've also noticed that the BOM generated by the export function of
> > PCB is showing the device's footprint rather than the device name
> > for the description. Is this correct?
> I think that the intended/more common flow is to use gnetlist to
> generate the BOM from the schematic.  There was a message on the list
> just recently that pointed to the exact locations for generating BOMs.

Here's the command from my âupdate-partslistâ script:

gnetlist -g bom Schematic.sch -o Parts_List.tsv

You need to create a file called âattribsâ in the same directory as the
schematic (or in the current directory?  I'm not sure which, but in
this case the schematic *is* in the current directory).

value
footprint
description
manufacturer
manufacturer_partnum

These five lines in the attribs file define which attributes will be
used to select columns for the resulting tab-delimited output file.

Regards,
Colin