Re: gEDA-user: Has anyone in this group seriously used KiCAD?

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:07:45 +0800
Atommann <atommann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2011/8/20 Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:55:31 -0400
> > John Hudak <jjhudak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Pros/cons? Âand please, no philosphy about integrated vs
> >> independent tools...I am interested in aspects such as what things
> >> work? what doesn't? user experiences such as strengths and
> >> weakness (again actual/functional and not philosophy)
> >
> > I've not âseriouslyâ used it, but I was just today frustrated when I
> > tried to download and open the Maple Mini KiCad project ([1]) and my
> > KiCad version (from Ubuntu 11.04 repositories) says the layout and
> > schematic files are unrecognized types.
> >
> > More specifically, trying to open the .brd file says âUnknown file
> > typeâ and trying to open the schematic says â<file>.sch is NOT an
> > EESchema file!â ÂSee screenshot at [2].
> >
> > A version incompatibility? ÂMaybe, but you would hope KiCad would at
> > least tell the user that the file is the wrong version, rather than
> > such cryptic errors. ÂUser error? ÂMaybe, but how hard can it be to
> > open a board file or schematic file?
>
> The Maple Mini was not designed with KiCAD, it was designed with
> Eagle.

Oh!
**MY APOLOGIES TO KICAD:** You did the best you could to try and open
the Eagle files.

LeafLabs: I think you owe *me* an apology! At least you could tell users
you what tool the .sch / .brd files were for!  I don't see anywhere in
the leaflabs GitHub repository or documentation that it says what EDA
tool the files belong to!

For instance, here's the compete section called Hardware Design Files
from the leaflabs-docs maple-mini.rst document:

Hardware Design Files

The hardware schematics and board layout files are available in the
Maple Mini GitHub repository.

From the GitHub repository main page, you can download the entire
repository by clicking the "Download" button. If you are familiar with
Git, you can also clone the repository at the command line with

$ git clone git://github.com/leaflabs/maplemini.git

I think the .sch extension is far too overloaded...

Regards,
Colin