Re: gEDA-user: pcb HID GUI options: gtk, lesstif?

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:58:27 -0400
DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > if you use pcb with the Lesstif GUI, why?
>
> The lesstif GUI was designed to use very little screen space, leaving
> the maximum amount of space for the board.

I just tried out the lesstif pcb GUI.  I was surprised to see that
there is no tool palette or layer list at all; you must use the menus
to select tool, active layer, or shown/hidden layers.  (Except some
keyboard accelerators.)  I thought I saw screenshots of the lesstif GUI
where there *were* layer and tool bars on the left side of the window.
Am I mistaken?

I do like the huge space the lesstif GUI gave me for my board!  My
screen actually seemed to become physically larger.

It would be great if the gtk GUI could provide some options to increase
available screen space -- perhaps a command to show/hide the left-side
tool and layer palette bar, and even an auto-hide feature that would
show the tool/layer bar only when the mouse moved to the left side of
the screen.  I look forward to Andrew Poelstra's new layer list GTK GUI
update, and hope the wasted horizontal 50 px or so around the current
layer widgets can be eliminated.

> It also serves as a check point to make sure the HID interface doesn't
> become gtk-specific.  Peter and I seem to be taking the two GUIs in
> different directions, which helps make sure that we *can* continue to
> do such things.

Nice.

Regards,
Colin