Re: gEDA-user: gschem vs. PCB diode pin numbering

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:21:26 -0700
Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you really want to delete and re-add each of your dozens of
> transistors in gschem when you change the transistor to one with a
> different pinout?  If you use a logically-pinned symbol, you can
> easily change the pinout by just editing the footprint attributes
> (gattrib, gschem property editor, export/import to/from spreadsheet,
> etc.).

I don't want it.

> Conversation regarding TO-92 transistor package pinouts:
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cad.geda.user/37190/focus=37197>
>
> Well, I always say I won't get into the logical/physical pinning
> debate, but I always do. :-)  For me, using logical pins on the
> schematic symbols such as transistors and diodes (*especially* diodes
> in IC packages like SOT-23) is the only way that makes sense ... at
> least until proper pin mapping is implemented.

Let me go into details. My work flow is as follows.

There are two libraries. One with heavy, another with light symbols.

If you use heavy symbols, there's nothing to say. Everything is static.

When you use a light symbol, a script finds a pinmap, and constructs a heavy
symbol. Say for example if you have a SOT23 diode with A1A2K pinout you'll get
a symbol with name like 'diode-SOT23-A1A2K.sym' this symbol is then copied to
the project's symbol directory, and the original symbol name in the schematic
is replaced by the name of the newly created symbol. The script will add other
information as well like footprint name, etc.

With this, you don't have to mess with your symbols nor with your footprints,
and everything works quite well for me.

Of course, everything is makefile driven... etc. The pinmap and symbol names
are coming from a database.

Levente

--
Kovacs Levente <leventelist@xxxxxxxxx>