Re: gEDA-user: gpcb-menu.res

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 00:56 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 14:00 +0200, Kovacs Levente wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:01:00 -0700
> > Andrew Poelstra <asp11@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Fixed in git head.
> >
> > Thanks! Maybe I can see why the "automatic layer (group) change" doesn't work.
> > Can you give me any clue where it is located in the code?

FWIW, a little skim and a vague recollection suggests this commit might
have been related... I can't recall whether it was that it broke some
behaviour in PCB+GL, or broke the tab-changes side feature you're
talking about. I think it broke PCB+GL actually (at the time it hit).

commit 9768e060fad7bc3dfc366da76ea1db8154005018
Author: DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Tue Sep 7 23:29:59 2010 -0400

    Fix layer visibility logic for some boards.

    If the Groups() line listed the c/s layer before the copper layer,
    disabling silk would also disable the copper.  This change searches
    the entire layer group looking for any layer that might need to be
    drawn, and uses that as the exemplar instead of blindly choosing the
    first layer in the list.

(Turns out it is the origin of that complex code I was whining about in
my last email ;) - Sorry DJ!).

Perhaps a git bisect will help us pin down when the tab feature first
stopped working... I'm really quite curious now.

This commit looks like it fixes the issue for Lesstif:

commit d7be5538da245ccdbd5e2c50d0231fb2d154e9ac
Author: DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Fri Sep 10 01:53:31 2010 -0400

    Fix lesstif SwapSides magic layer option.

    If the first layer in the layer group is silk, the swap sides
    key won't auto-toggle the solder and component groups, nor properly
    activate them if it does.  Add code to find a visible *copper* layer
    in the layer group and use that.

Finally, it was broken before my commit:

commit f903b4be6b85efc110852f7be40edf8245f0a513
Author: Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Sat Aug 20 15:45:20 2011 +0100

    hid/gtk: Some NOOP and whitespace changes to the SwapSides() function

    Split from of a later patch which reworks the view flipping APIs.
    Hopefully this makes the function a little simpler.

However, it might be worth checking the logic there, as having re-read
my "NOOP" changes, I wonder if I might have made a mistake about the
setting of my "bool new_comp_vis" variable.

Looking back, I'm 99% certain that I made a mistake on this.
Furthermore, the assumed [0] index on the group entry is also present in
this code.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,