Re: gEDA-user: Makefile errors

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:56:31 -0600
Robert Schoen <rschoen@windataware.com> wrote:

> first off let me oppologize, I am a newbie and on my way to converting to
> linux, so this problem may seem a little elementary.  MS windows, VB, SQL i
> know, but, this is all together different..
> I have gotten a series of errors when I run the makefile that I believe may be
> related to the shell I am running or a missing shell.  I have been getting a
> series of errors lile this.
> [root@192 geda-20030901]# ./Makefile
> ./Makefile: line 1: VERSION: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 33: notarget:: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 1: VERSION: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 1: CD_VERSION: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 1: DIR_PREFIX: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 34: @echo: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 35: @echo: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 36: @echo: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 37: @echo: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 38: @echo: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 39: @echo: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 40: @echo: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 41: @echo: command not found
> ./Makefile: line 42: @echo: command not found
> they go on but I <cntrl>C out of the script because something appears very
> wrong.  I thought it might have been because mandrake did not install bash by
> default (that seemed strange to me).  So I installed bash, but it did not
> seem to help.
> I am running Mandrake 9.1 on an 800 athlon machine.
>

> Please help the linux newbie

To make and install a tarball that you have uncompressed into a directory, say /usr/local/geda-20030901, as root type "./configure" , this checks that your system has the necessary support, then "make", then when the application has made, type "make install".

I really think that you will need a good book on Linux, and I initially used "Running Linux" by O'Rielly when I first moved from the Windows world to the Linux world.

The following is the technique I use to make gschem:-
Note the order is *very important*.

 Compiling/installing GAF (as root) in the following order I create a '/usr/local/src/geda-xxxxxxx' directory to hold the un-tar.gz'd files, and install from there

   1. libgdgeda:
          * configure
          * make
          * make install
          * ldconfig
   2. libgeda
          * As above, note configure will check for Guile at this point
   3. geda-symbols
          * configure
          * make
          * make install