gEDA-user: Makefile errors

first off let me oppologize, I am a newbie and on my way to converting to
linux, so this problem may seem a little elementary.  MS windows, VB, SQL i
know, but, this is all together different..
I have gotten a series of errors when I run the makefile that I believe may be
related to the shell I am running or a missing shell.  I have been getting a
series of errors lile this.
[root@192 geda-20030901]# ./Makefile
./Makefile: line 1: VERSION: command not found
./Makefile: line 33: notarget:: command not found
./Makefile: line 1: VERSION: command not found
./Makefile: line 1: CD_VERSION: command not found
./Makefile: line 1: DIR_PREFIX: command not found
./Makefile: line 34: @echo: command not found
./Makefile: line 35: @echo: command not found
./Makefile: line 36: @echo: command not found
./Makefile: line 37: @echo: command not found
./Makefile: line 38: @echo: command not found
./Makefile: line 39: @echo: command not found
./Makefile: line 40: @echo: command not found
./Makefile: line 41: @echo: command not found
./Makefile: line 42: @echo: command not found
they go on but I <cntrl>C out of the script because something appears very
wrong.  I thought it might have been because mandrake did not install bash by
default (that seemed strange to me).  So I installed bash, but it did not
seem to help.
I am running Mandrake 9.1 on an 800 athlon machine.

Please help the linux newbie