gEDA-user: Re: libgeda

Hi,

Robert Schoen writes:
 > I am not sure who I should write.  Being that I seem to be having
 > problems with libgeda I thought I would start with you.

I am sending this message to you and to the user mailing list of the
project. I would recommend you subscribe to this list and use it for
future message as it can benefit everyone (and you may get a quickier
answer). Take care that posting is only allowed to subscribers. To
list user, for now please CC him any answer.

 > To begin with please forgive me but I am a newbie at this.  I am running
 >   Mandrake 9.1.
 >
 > Anyway down to my problems.  First I don't know what order to install
 > the rpm's in.  I took a couple of guesses and when the rpm complained I
 > would try to install what it was complaining about.  There were some
 > rpms that would not install at all.  When I try to install
 > gschem-20030901-1.i386, it complains about needing libgeda,
 > libgeda.so.19, libqthreads.so.12, after I had already installed
 > libgeda-20030901-1.i386.

I am a Debian user and I know very little about Mandrake and RPM based
distro. Maybe someone else from the list can help you on this point.

 > I have also try to install via the tar-balls.
 >   libgeda goes threw ./configure, make, and make install without any
 > visible signs of problems. But when I try to install something that
 > requires libgeda the ./configure application fails to see that libgeda
 > is installed.

OK, here I can be helpful.

First of all, if you are not familiar with development tools, or if
you only want to use gEDA and do not want to write software on this
machine, the RPM (or packaged-for-you) way is probably better.

Nevertheless, if you succeeded in compiling libgeda, it looks to me
like your installation is development-ready. From your (short)
explanation I guess the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable is not
set (see below).

To build gEDA, you should use the toplevel Makefile instead of the
individual configure scripts : it will launch them for you. You may
have to change the 'prefix' variable in this Makefile if it does not
suit your need. Then launch 'make' with no targets. This will display
a short usage message. You will have to set the three environment
variables (among which is PKG_CONFIG_PATH) as explained in the
previous output before you run 'make install'.

'make install' launches the 'configure/make/make install' process in
the source directories, in the right order.

If you still have problems, please include the full error message, the
procedure you chose...

 > Please help this newbie.
 >
 > Robert R. Schoen

Patrick