Re: gEDA-user: Makefile errors

Hi Robert,

[snip]
>> To make and install a tarball that you have uncompressed into a
>> directory, say /usr/local/geda-20030901, as root type "./configure"
>> ,...
>
>Running ./configure should not require root privileges, in fact, it
>should not be done using root privileges.

	Further, I have never installed gEDA/gaf into /usr or /usr/local.
I install everytime into a regular user owned directory.

	I recommend that people use the --prefix=directory feature
of ./configure.  If you do:

	./configure --prefix=$HOME/geda
	or
	./configure --prefix=$HOME/geda20030901

all of gEDA/gaf will be installed into $HOME/geda and this keeps
everything well contained and makes upgrades (or heaven forbid, deletion)
very easy.

								-Ales

(
 if you do install into a user directory (i.e. not system), be sure
 to setup your PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and PKG_CONFIG_PATH before you
 start running the ./configure scripts.  If you use my toplevel Makefile
 (which is distributed as part of the release), you can just type: make
 and that will tell you everything you need to set.
)