Re: gEDA-user: Life and death for gEDA: portability...

> The dependence on various packages, particularly guile and it's friends,
>  could easily doom this whole effort.  Imagine a random IT guy in a
> medium sized company has been asked to install gEDA on 100 Linux
> workstations.  What does he do?  So far as I've seen, a correct response
> on this guy's part is to panic, and perhaps put together a resume.

I see that panic as he is using the wrong Linux distribution.
There are some out there that don't get in to dependency hell.

He could also just as well install it on one machine and use SSH or VNC to
some virtual X-Terms.

> Frankly, I doubt companies will standardize gEDA software for internal
> use so long as the porting problems persist.

The company I work for doesn't want to hear about "Open Source" or "Free
Ware".  For reasons that I can't phantom, that sounds like "Junk" to their
ears.   They are getting a T1 line to get with the times.  I suggested using
Linux, for firewall/router.  They literally laughed in my face.  "No we'll
limp along like this for a couple of months, till we can afford to install
this $4,000 router".

No worries about any good software like gEDA ever making it to some companies,
no mater how easy it is to port.

> -- libstroke

I thought that one always was optional?

> As for the GUI, I would not write most of the code directly to Gtk 1.2,
> or Gtk 2.0, or any such thing. ...code to a portable interface layer

http://www.wxwindows.org/ covers that area nicely.
It does Mac, Microsoft, Linux, etc.

Borland has started to fund some of  the wxWindows effort.

--
                    http://www.softwaresafety.net/
       http://www.unusualresearch.com/ http://www.bpaddock.com/