Re: gEDA-user: gEDA gets some great press!

Realistically, this is probably as good an article as it gets. It's very good to see these tools get good press.

I can't let the following go by, though:
'The gEDA software is "an interesting project" but is not "professional caliber," said Ian Suttie, vice president of sales and marketing at Electronics Workbench. "While gEDA has lots of primitive functionality, it does not provide a clean, optimized user interface of the sort professional engineers demand. Neither does gEDA software provide some of the functionality essential for professional use."'

I bought the schematic entry/pcb/autorouter package a few years from Electronics Workbench. It crashed frequently for me, had problems with new part design, and in general frustrated me so much that I gave up using it. I would specifically not associate the words "professional caliber" with that software. Granted, this is a sales and marketing person, and perhaps the software has been improved tremendously and is now "professional caliber," but it did give me a laugh reading this.

It is a pleasure using open-source tools such as PCB, and my thanks go out to the folks who have put so much time and effort into the tools.

--Dale Grover
(So far, two 4-layer boards successfully fabricated by PCBExpress using PCB software under Mac OS X)