Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/PCB desktop icons and remote access?

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:37:53 -0500, harry eaton <bumpelo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > To make this as painless as possible for the windows users, and to show
> > that Linux/gEDA/PCB are not toys I'm planing on setting up a server that
> > can run gEDA/PCB using TightVNC over the network.  Has anyone ever done
> > something like this before with (Tight)VNC?  I was able to demo to the
> boss
> > using his Internet Explorer under Windows to run PCB over the network
> using
> > the server built into TightVNC.
>
> I use tightVNC to my headless linux box for pcb. It works well, but not
> perfect.

Along those lines...

If you're reconnecting to an existing session (i.e. set up the VNC
server from your PC, then reconnect to that session on the boss's PC)
, TightVNC provides very snappy initial redraw, in stark contrast to
Windows Terminal Server-type solutions (RDP allows you to resize the
desktop to fit your screen, which confuddles most Windows apps). This
is a good selling point if people start to make fun of your demo based
on past TS/RDP experiences.

I haven't used TightVNC for PCB editing, but it played well with
gschem. That was with an unnecessarily fast Windows PC, though. YMMV.

A relative newcomer to the field of remote desktop display is FreeNX,
which <disclaimer>I have very little firsthand experience
with</disclaimer>.

OSNews article on NX: http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8139

However, someone thought it was worthwhile enough to cram the NX
installer into the latest Knoppix (3.7). Which leads us back to one
year ago...

For Bob's situation, a remastered Knoppix disk may provide a better,
more complete Open Source EDA demonstration environment than a remote
VNC session could. It depends on how fast your computers are, and how
you set things up, I guess.

O'Reilly's "Knoppix Hacks" has some good info on remastering Knoppix,
if anyone is itching to use their CD writer. They also mention Damn
Small Linux, which would fit on a smallish USB Flash Drive.

--
- Charles Lepple