Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/PCB desktop icons and remote access?

On Monday 20 December 2004 08:37 am, Mike Jarabek wrote:

> >I also run pcb under cygwin on a windows box at work. With the new X
> > server, the PCB window is just another window on the pc desktop.
>
> We are doing similar things here with gschem running on Solaris, and
> being displayed on a Winodows box running Cygwin-X.  All indications are
> that this works fine.

I was running Cygwin until IT said that it prevented them from restoring
a back-up tape when the windows server crashed.  Something about
the execution attribute being set on the Windows Server back up files. I know
that makes no sense, they were just using me as the latest scape-goat.  They
had used all of their other excuses with the weekly crashes that shut down
the company, except for my PC.  Don't think they took it well that I could
still do my job and ship products.  They tried to make it look like I was
doing something funky to violate Windows Server Security, got called to VP's
office to explain why my files had "funny attributes" on them and no one
else in the company had files like that.  I just copied the tools that I use
to do my job to the server, Cygwin being one of them, as IT back-up policy
dictated.

To top it off they came around on a weekend and reset all file attributes on
all machines in the company to their IT sanctioned attribute state.  Needless
to say that completely nuked Cygwin that was on my own, non-network, machine.
Things like that want me to get my resume up to date (Anyone here in the
Pittsburgh/Eire region?)!

So Cygwin is not going to happen.  Whatever runs on Windows has to be
as minimally invasive as possible, like using Internet Explorer to TightVNC's
HTTP built-in server.  It also has to look like Windows.  Remember logic does
not apply here... :-(

--
                          http://www.softwaresafety.net/
 http://www.unusualresearch.com/ http://www.bpaddock.com/