Re: Fwd: Re: gEDA-user: Plastic Ball Grid Array (PBGA) packages?

Stephen Meier wrote:

Placing a BGA device is not a hand solder job. It is done in an oven along with all the other devices or on a specific, fairly expensive, piece of equipment.

I remember back in 1999, when visiting a cellular phone startup company, "the guy" in their lab hand soldered >160 pin micro-BGA chips with an astonishing success rate (comfortably over 90%). He also replaced chips this way, as a matter of course.

Seeing that it was possible, made it possible for me to repeat it at home. The success rate was less, but good enough for my purpose. I never did this enough times that is became second nature.

The trick is to use a temperature controlled hot air blower with a continuously selectable air flow. With a suitable, small, nozzle, the $150 or so Steinels work just fine. You need to get the temperature right, use a low air flow, make sure everything is clean, and use a suitable flux. You direct the hot air flow at a 90 degree angle, so that the chip is free to 'settle' correctly on the pads. You will develop a 'feel' of what is enough heat. When the surrounding decoupling caps start to blow away, you have more than enough.

And yes, you really also need a PCB with a good silk screen to make it possible to align the part properly before starting. Lightly support if with a pair of tweezers until the tin melts, after which the capillary forces of the tin takes over.

In 2003, they are no longer a startup - I'm sure they can afford the equipment, but in their lab "the guy" is still doing the same thing with the prototypes. Because it is quicker, he says.

For initial production of the prototypes, they rely on a 'house', obviously.

If this will work with conventional BGA, I haven't tried. At the very least, you need a larger nozzle and more heat.

And keep in mind: I am not recommending this technique. In a situation with many unknown, as in an initial prototype, I'm sure the last thing you want is an extra unknown. BGA is a real PITA if something is wrong, and you suspect there may be a bad connection.

But what I'm saying is that it *is* possible to hand solder.

Egil