Re: Fwd: Re: gEDA-user: Plastic Ball Grid Array (PBGA) packages?

Ken,

Placing a BGA device is not a hand solder job. It is done in an oven along with all the other devices or on a specific, fairly expensive, piece of equipment.

I will do my best to describe it such a tool.

The BGA device is held by a vacum gripper from the top. The gripper also has heating elements. At this time flux might be applied to the solder balls that make up the bottom of the BGA.

The PCB is held above another set of heating elements but below the bga device and its gripper.

An optical probe is placed between the bottom of the BGA and the top of the pcb. This optical device is looking both up and down and is used to align the BGA directly above its target landpattern on the PCB.

When alignment is achieved, the optical probe is removed.

A heating cycle is then started both from bellow the PCB and from above the BGA at a specified point in the heating cycle the BGA is lowered very gently onto the the PCB and released from the vacum gripper. The heating cycle eventualy is ramped down and the entire board is allowed to cool.

A shop that I work with typically charges $100.00 to place one BGA. The price drops rapiddly if placing a lot of them on multiple boards.

Steve M.

P.S. I hope you don't mind. But this is a general enough question that I am going to post my answer back to the GEDA mailing list.

How do you get the chip (BGA) to soldier?