Re: Fwd: Re: gEDA-user: Plastic Ball Grid Array (PBGA) packages?

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 07:02:00 -0800, Stephen Meier
<smeier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Placing a BGA device is not a hand solder job. It is done in an oven
> along with all the other devices or on a specific, fairly expensive,
> piece of equipment.

still haven't tried this myself, but it seems doable if you only have one BGA:

http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~jasmith/mpc555/faq.html#SolderOven

I vaguely rememver Stephen's land pattern document talking about
solder mask, but it bears repeating: the solder mask is a lot more
important with BGAs and other surface-mount components than with
through-hole components.

--
- Charles Lepple