Re: gEDA-user: newbie questions

On Sunday 04 December 2005 07:05 am, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Both ngspice and gnucap will work for you.  Ngspice is
> exactly SPICE ported to Linux.  Gnucap is a totally new
> circuit simulator with a more modern architecture than SPICE,
> but able to read SPICE syntax. The results from ngspice and
> gnucap should normally be identical for most work you will
> do.

Ngspice is really a collection of Spice 3f5 and other stuff from
a variety of places.  There are several users of ngspice here.
The ngspice project attempts to collect all that is spice.
There is no new development, but new stuff appears regularly as
they find it.

Gnucap is a totally new simulator.  I think it does a better job
at letting you tinker with the circuit than any Spice, but it
is less mature.  The people developing gnucap are here on this
list, and probably know more about simulation than anyone at
your school.

If you use Winspice, your instructor can help you.  If you use
either ngspice or gnucap, we can help you with the differences.
If you use gnucap, we can show you ways to use it that your
professor never thought of.

Probably the biggest down side of gnucap is the lack of newbie
documentation.  Maybe you can write some as you learn it.

In any case, I would like to see the assignments you get.  I
want to try them on gnucap, and find ways to show things that
spice won't show you.