Re: gEDA-user: latest PCB w/gsch2pcb deletes parts?

And just to add to this, there is no single "IPC one". In fact the ~geda library contains no less than 9 (!) IPC 0603 footprints. These are

CAPC1608L
CAPC1608N
CAPC1608M

INDC1608L
INDC1608N
INDC1608M

RESC1608L
RESC1608N
RESC1608M

which are for capacitors, inductors, and resistors respectively. the L/N/M are for least/nominal/most. In addition, there is still just 0603 in ~geda. 0603 needed repair because the one which was there was not large enough. That one has been updated to something representitive of the "N" version.

As for other versions of 0603 footprints, they're there because no one has made footprint library maintainence a high priority.

-Dan

Steve Meier wrote:
The IPC footprints have been critisized for being overly large. I
believe this is true especially for the smaller size components. My
understanding is that the IPC wants to leave some minimum pad space in
front and behind (toe and heal) the devices contact. If you then compare
the IPC recomended foot prints to a device manufacturors recomended foot
print you will see a consierable size difference. I suspect this might
very from manufacturor to manufacturor. This is one cause of multiple
footprints. A second cause is that different assembly techniques may
suggest variations in the width of the pads.

Is this all really necessary? Propably not. But which one to select?

Steve Meier

Matt Ettus wrote:

I was able to fix this problem by going back to an older PCB CVS.

One question -- why are there multiple 0603 footprints?  Why wouldn't
you want to use the IPC one?  All these versions makes for a lot of
confusion.

Matt