Re: gEDA-user: mosfet design help

gene glick wrote:
I want to build a mosfet inverter that also translates voltages. Pretty much standard mosfet inverter, nmos is lower transistor, pmos is upper transistor. The upper pmosfet Vsource is +5VDC, and mosfet Vsource is -5VDC. But, the gate voltage is +/- 50VDC.

Although the gate voltage exceeds the turn-on threshold of the mosfet's - but does it violate any max values for Vgs or Vgd? At these levels, the Vgs is going to around 55 volts. The Vds is fine, and is easy to select a transistor for these levels.

It's not clear to me what the Vgs and Vgd maximums are, from reading various mosfet data sheets. Any help?

usually the datasheets are pretty clear about the max gate to source voltage. If you have a pointer to a datasheet, that would help. I'll bet that +/- 50 V is enough to blow up most FET's that you'll find. For going from +/- 50V swing to +/- 5V there are a lot of things you could do depending on the speed at which it needs to work. You could make a resistive divider and supplement it with a diode clamp to make sure you never exceed some maximum tolerable swing at the output. You might still want to follow this with a circuit like you describe.

Be aware that even if your FET's can take the Vgs, think for a bit about what the time domain output of the inverter will be when you put 100V steps into the input. This is especially a concern if you have a fast edge. Hint, don't ignore Cgd.

-Dan