RE: gEDA-user: mosfet design help

Most mosfets are driven with typically 10-12V for the gate drive. I have never seen a mosfet with a 50V gate drive requirement.

If high side drive is a concern here you may want to look at bootstrap devices that are available to drive the high side mosfet. It's unclear to me exactly what you are attempting here but if I read it right you basically have 10V to work with(+5 and -5 supplies). If you work with a p channel device on the high side you should have no problems generating the gate voltages necessary to drive the mosfets without the need for a bootstrapping device.

From: gene glick <carzrgr8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: gEDA-user: mosfet design help
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 05:43:08 +0000

I want to build a mosfet inverter that also translates voltages. Pretty much standard mosfet inverter, nmos is lower transistor, pmos is upper transistor. The upper pmosfet Vsource is +5VDC, and mosfet Vsource is -5VDC. But, the gate voltage is +/- 50VDC.

Although the gate voltage exceeds the turn-on threshold of the mosfet's - but does it violate any max values for Vgs or Vgd? At these levels, the Vgs is going to around 55 volts. The Vds is fine, and is easy to select a transistor for these levels.

It's not clear to me what the Vgs and Vgd maximums are, from reading various mosfet data sheets. Any help?

gene