From: geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stuart Brorson
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 10:06 AM
To: gEDA user mailing list
Subject: RE: gEDA-user: strange build failure

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Adrian Nania wrote:

> I do believe for more than 98% of people working with electronic
> components it is not possible to install and use the latest gEDA
> version. The endless compiling errors and flavor dependencies are
> unbelievable.
>
> Yeah, we can always google around and after many hard working weeks
> have an installation method working for just a few days before some
> "justified" changes in name or settings.

Actually, it compiles and installs easily, as many have found.  If you
had a different experience, that's too bad.  If you have a constructive
suggestion to make, or have an install issue to raise, we'd like to hear
about it -- politely.  If you're just feeling cranky, well, go kick your
dog and don't post to geda-user.  We're not interested in your rants,
and they make you look bad to boot.
Remember, this list is archived, so from now on people Googling you will
find your strange rant.

> On the other hand, many times we do not have access to a Linux box.
> Windows is unfortunately or not the single available desktop in many
> places. Now, I do not believe Windows users are jerks. Usually they
> are forced to use Windows.

Please remember that gEDA is an open-source project, and is the creation
of volunteers who offer this software to the wider world for free.  The
developers only work on gEDA for fun.  If you want a windows port, you
have the following options:

1.  Try doing it yourself.
2.  If you can't figure it out for yourself, ask *nicely* on the list,
and maybe somebody will do it for you if it looks like fun.
3.  If that fails, you can pay an open-source developer to do it for
you.

Otherwise, you're SOL.  The developers of gEDA owe you nothing, and if
they don't want to devote their time to a Windows port, you're on your
own.  Anyway, its very presumptious of you to think that we will just
jump to it and create cost-free software for you because you asked.

> It is quite normal to end up with many "jerks" when you open your
> product to a few thousands more people. Just ignore them because for
> each jerk speaking to you are 1.000 good people on your side.

I agree with Ales -- a Windows port would open the floodgates to hords
of whining clueless fools.  Why should we subject ourselves to that?
Supporting the clueful users (and there are quite a few) is already a
big job which we do exclusively for fun.  Better to keep the barrier to
entry a little high since it's not fun to support the clueless --
particularly without any compensation.

Stuart