gEDA-user: Re: strange build failure

Andy Peters wrote:
On Dec 2, 2006, at 4:40 PM, Ales Hvezda wrote:

[snip]

guile-config compile and guile-config link and guile-config info

    I'm guessing that is where the /home/janneke/... is coming from.

Ah, guile-config link and guile-config info both reveal the /home/janneke/ stuff.

I can confirm this strange new behavior of guile-config on Cygwin. It's been a while since I built the Cygwin port of gEDA/gaf, I assume the Cygwin guile package has broken since then.

Google tells me that there's a newer version of the guile stuff at http://lilypond.org, but that connection to cygwin's setup is broken and the official cygwin mirrors don't have the new version yet.

I suggest installing an old "known good" package of guile instead, until the Cygwin guile maintainer uploads a corrected package to the main repository.

so, the hell with it.

Please, do not give up yet ;-)

The Cygwin setup program allows to install an older version of a package. Please do the following:

1) Run setup.exe and click on your favorite mirror. See to it that "lilypond" server is *not* selected.
2) In the package selection dialog, click on the "view" button once to bring the "Full" view
3) Look for the guile and guile-devel packages
4) Starting with the guile-devel package (the order is important), click on the arrows beside the version number, until the old version appears (1.6.7-4)
5) Do the same with the guile package
6) Press the "view" button again to bring the "Partial" view
7) Verify that both guile and guile-devel are listed, showing the old version number (1.6.7-4). If not, repeat from step 2.
8) When you next update Cygwin, the setup program will want to upgrade the guile packages again. To keep the old version, bring the "Partial" view and click on the arrows until you see the word "keep".

I am sure the Cygwin guile maintainer will correct this packaging error eventually. From what I gather from the Cygwin list archives, he is already aware of the situation.

Hope this helps,
Cesar