Re: gEDA-user: Tomorrow! December Free Dog meeting announcement -- reminder!

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 07:12, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> How should the pie be cut up?    For example, I may type more
> text onto geda-user, but the developers in Europe contribute
> far more useful code to gEDA/gaf. [1]  Should we get an even
> share of the small donation pile?  I don't think so -- I
> think they should get more than me.   But how much?  And do
> we allocate the cash by lines of code contributed?  What
> about code quality?  Also, should the money go to gEDA/gaf
> developers only, or also to Icarus Verilog, Gnucap, NGSpice,
> and so on?  The danger of creating resentment if somebody
> feels left out is much greater than the small sums involved.
>
> On the other hand, if we agree upfront that *no* donation
> money goes to any  developer, then the money can be used for
> advertising (for example), like taking out quarter-page
> spreads in Circuit Cellar. That might not be a bad idea.....

Obviously the donor should say how it is spent, and the request
should be honored absolutely.  If someone wants to fund a
particular project they can send the money directly to the
intended person.  Such contributions should be encouraged.

Advertising in Circuit Cellar is a good idea, but we are not
ready yet.  A booth at DAC or DesignCon may also be a good
idea, when we are ready.

I am looking at ways to fund the development of gnucap.
(translation: make some money doing it).  I don't think small
donations from casual users are the way to do it.  I would like
to be able to do this full time.  I am sure some others here
would too.

I got the domain name "gedaconsulting.com".  For now, it points
at seul.org, which puts up the seul web page, which links to
geda.  "gnucap.gedaconsulting.org" points to gnucap.org.  I am
open to suggestions on what to do with it.

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 07:12, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> [1]  I'm leaving out the active PCB developers here since
> they have their own donation system.

How is it working?