Re: gEDA-user: FreeDog meeting minutes (20061206)

On Monday 11 December 2006 08:41, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> * The Windows port was discussed again.  Ales isn't opposed
> to creating a set of native mingw binaries (along with any
> supporting infrastructure) as long as:
>
>         1) There is some sort of barrier to entry to keep the
> support burden manageable.  Something as simple as shipping
> the binaries in a zip or .bz2 file instead of .exe.
>         2) The initial release should be billed as an
> "experiment". If the developer support burden is too high,
> then the experiment will be terminated after a fixed amount
> of time.
>         3) The Windows port should be supported separately
> from the main gEDA project initially.  Maybe this means
> creating a different SF project and a separate mailing list.
>  This, too, is to keep the support burden manageable.

I still think the Windows port should be handled just like the
Debian port, the NetBSD port, the SUSE port, the Fedora port,
the Slackware port, the Gentoo port, etc.

Someone interested takes on the project and does it, freeing the
real developers from the burden.

I think a Knoppix disk that is kept up to date is higher
priority, and much easier.