Re: gEDA-user: GPL and BSD (was: strange build failure)

> What's the difference between dist-license and use-license?

dist-license affects symbol/footprint libraries and other
distributions of the symbol/footprint as symbol/footprint "software".

use-license affects symbols/footprints within your schematics and
boards, when "distributed" as hardware.

> Just please make sure the components I already uploaded under GPL
> are spread in compliance with GPL.

Set dist-license to GPL.

However, if you set use-license to GPL, then it *may* mean that any
physical hardware must be shipped with full schematics and .pcb files
so that the user may change the GPL'd symbols and recreate the board
"from sources".

> The advantage of GPL is that it promotes free software.

Yes, but it doesn't work so well with *hardware* which is why we split
the licensing into two parts: distribution and use.