gEDA-user: licensing (GPL or otherwise) for hardware?

To continue on the "GPL and BSD" topic ...

Just to clarify: if I use GPLed or BSD-licensed tools to develop hardware, as well as using GPLed symbols/footprints, am I obligated to open-source the hardware design (the schematic, the PCB layout)?

Common sense says no, but the degrees of freedom (hah hah) in open- source licenses vary greatly, and if I cannot keep my designs proprietary, then I can't use the tools.

-a