Re: gEDA-user: licensing (GPL or otherwise) for hardware?

My position on this is...

1) I use mostly my own symbols for the schematics and only my own land
patterns. It is questionable if the release of a hard copy "printed"
schematic or even a pdf would trigger a violation of the GPL. Essentialy
in that format they are non-functional you can't do anything with them
but view them.

2) The fonts as computer code can be copyrighted but not the output. So
the use of the fonts includded with both PCB and gschem can be used to
produce hardcopy and pdf's or ps files, without triggering a violation
of the GPL or any other license.

3) I think the owners of the copyrights to gschem and pcb should state
clearly if they desire that designs created using these tools be forced
to be also released under the GPL. If not then the verbage of the
licenses needs to state clearly how the symbols/land patterns may be
used.

Thanks,

Steve Meier