Re: gEDA-user: licensing (GPL or otherwise) for hardware?

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 01:23:13PM -0800, Steve Meier wrote:
> My position on this is...
>
> 1) I use mostly my own symbols for the schematics and only my own land
> patterns. It is questionable if the release of a hard copy "printed"
> schematic or even a pdf would trigger a violation of the GPL. Essentialy
> in that format they are non-functional you can't do anything with them
> but view them.
>
> 2) The fonts as computer code can be copyrighted but not the output. So

Everything can be viewed as a  computer code. Imagine a RLE encoded picture -
that's a programming language with limited capabilities. There are instructions
like "Repeat 100x the following instruction" and "emit a green pixel".

ASCII file is also a programming language - it has 1-byte bytecodes
like "print A", "print !", "feed a new line", "print a space", etc.

There is actually no boundary between "data" and "code".

CL<