Re: gEDA-user: Symbol submission

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 12:09:54PM -0800, Ostheller, Joel A.  wrote:
> Is there an email/text way to submit Symbols (vs :
> http://geda.seul.org/tools/symbols/contrib.html)
>

> Additionally- being a newbie of this program, the process of symbol
> submission was not very obvious to me. It wasn't on the main page and I
> doubt I would have found it had I not been looking for it.  I would think

The same for me. But every time I post a comment like this to an open source
project (whatever it is - Gentoo Linux, OpenBSD, gEDA,...) they try to make
an idiot out of me.

> that if the Symbol Submission was integrated within the GUI, that perhaps
> the Symbol library may be larger then it is now? Just a thought...

Well it would be enough if the gEDA website would be structured so that the
most wanted things are shallow and the least wanted are deep. For example I
wasn't still able to figure how to upgrade existing gEDA into the next
version - I just got lost in complicated pages full of links. For example:

"Several different methods to install gEDA exist. Select your installation
method depending upon your Linux distribution and your level of expertise. If
one install method doesn't work for you, please try a different one. Consult
the gEDA wiki for further download/install tips. Also, if this is your first
time installing gEDA, please read the gEDA words to the wise."

- the installation methods are not listed (or maybe there are listed, but
there is no indication that they are the installation methods).

Or: "gEDA is free / open-source software." - an information that is already
mentioned on the toplevel page.

Or: "gEDA is a set of GNU/Linux or Unix-native programs." vs.
"Select your installation method depending upon your Linux distribution"
- the first sounds like it's supported on Unix which is not Linux, the
other suggests that only Linux is supported.

Or (Sources): "gEDA is free / open-source software. Developers interested in
getting all sources can either use the CDROM (above), or they can download the
individual components from the sources download page." - the case that someone
would want the sources not because he's a developer but because the CDROM
doesn't work for him (like the last time I tried) is omitted.

CL<