Re: gEDA-user: Symbol submission

On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:31 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

gEDA should dump cvs and switch to subversion ...

Note that gEDA, PCB, and gedasymbols.org each have their own - independent - repositories.

The PCB admins have at least talked about the difference between cvs
and svn.  There are ups and downs to either choice.  Svn, for example,
doesn't have the concept of "modules" - you either get the whole tree,
or none of it.

Actually, that's not true ... but let's leave that for a different thread and a different list.

OTOH, cvs won't let you check out a branch as of a
specific date.  Svn also needs twice the local disk space.

svn keeps an untouched local copy of whatever you check out so you can do diffs, reverts, etc without hitting the network. Again, though, off topic, and I suppose I should apologize for bringing it up!

-a