Re: gEDA-user: fun/easy BGA part

On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:45 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Ok, a s.e.design thread has got me thinking about pan-frying BGAs.
Now I'm curious.  What's a good BGA to start with?  "Good" is defined
as:

1. Inexpensive, cause I'll probably toast a few.

2. Useful, because it's good to see results.

3. Easy to design around, because I want to worry about the soldering
   process, and not burn through a number of chips getting the design

4. Require a minimum of support components.

5. Not so complex that lots of tiny vias would be needed.  If I can
   get by with two rows pulled out on the top with 7/7 rules, and the
   remaining rows tied to gnd/vcc through one or two big vias, that's
   acceptable.

Hmmm... BGA challenge anyone? ;-)

There are various small analog parts that are BGA.

We use a lot of FT256 BGAs here at the day job (Spartan2E FPGAs). We can hand-attach them. We have a rework kit that includes a paste mask for that package, so you line up the mask, squirt some paste, then place the chip. To solder, we put the board in the board-holder jig for a hot-air rework tool. We put a heater block directly under the FPGA location, and then flow low-velocity hot air around the chip (using a FQP nozzle). You watch the balls using a stereoscope, and you can see when they get soft and melt. The chip self-aligns on the pads. Works well, but does take some practice.

-a