Re: gEDA-user: Symbol submission

On Dec 15, 2006, at 2:20 PM, John Griessen wrote:
DJ Delorie wrote:
  Svn, for example,
doesn't have the concept of "modules" - you either get the whole tree,
or none of it. OTOH, cvs won't let you check out a branch as of a
specific date. Svn also needs twice the local disk space.

I'm wondering how git and svn compare... nirvana-wise

I've been using svn some lately to keep my circuit design work in. There seems to be a way to deal with just sub directories of a tree, after you have the whole tree. If you move that subdir to a new place, it still functions as a svn working copy of that much of the tree, and you could then delete the rest with no impact on the repository.

You don't have to check out the whole tree! Just check out the part you need.

I've not noticed any quick way to break a repository into chunks after making it. I think that could be done by taking a section of updated working copy and stripping out all .svn dirs, then import it into a new subdir of the same repository. That would result in a repository with two top dirs, I think. After that tested out OK, the copied original dir could be svn deleted. The history of it and repository filesize would still be there. The new history would start off in the new repository dir.

Dunno exactly what you mean by "break a repository into chunks after making it," but if you decide that you don't like where something lives in the repo, it's really easy to move things around (retaining history, too):

$ svn move -m "Comment about moving" url://path/to/source url://path/ to/new/location

where url is replaced by your access method (svn:, svn+ssh:, http:, https:)

-a