Re: gEDA-user: gschem and heterogeneous symbols

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 20:59 -0700, Andy Peters wrote:
> I was looking through the various gschem for answers to this, but
> I've come up with nothing.
>
> Does gschem support the notion of heterogeneous schematic symbols?
> Consider a dual op-amp chip.  I like the symbol for part A to include
> the power pins, and the symbol for part B to not include the power
> pins.  Another use of this would be where you have an FPGA with
> several logical interfaces (a memory interface, a microcontroller bus
> interface, etc etc).  I find schematics with a big 256-pin part with
> a bunch of wires sticking out of it to be rather messy, so the
> ability to create a custom symbol for each part cleans things up
> considerably.
>
> Anyways, about the closest I can come to this idea is to create a
> pair of symbols for my dual op-amp.  One symbol has the power pins;
> the other doesn't.  Both symbols get the same ref des.  I'm not sure
> how to set slot numbers and slotdef.
>
> If this feature doesn't exist, then consider it a feature request!

It does, simply number the pins appropriatly in each part of the symbol,
and give them the same Refdes when you instantiate them.

Slotting is for symbols which have more than one pin set (should be
something on the wiki, or look in existing symbols such as nand gates or
dual opamps). That way, the NAND gate part can be one symbol which picks
up different pin numbers depending on what slot= attribute you set in
the schematic.

Peter C.