Re: gEDA-user: Symbol submission

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 21:42 +0100, Tomaz Solc wrote:

> Hi
>
> > I would think that if the Symbol Submission was integrated within the GUI, that
> > perhaps the Symbol library may be larger then it is now? Just a thoughtâ
>
> I have another idea. How about a GUI that allows you to search for a
> symbol in the gedasymbols.org database?
>
> Something like the current "Add component" dialog except that it
> communicates with the gedasymbols.org server. It could show the preview
> of the symbol and then download it into your local symbol directory.
>
> It would be faster than starting up the browser, navigating to
> gedasymbols.org, searching, and downloading to the proper directory.
>
> I think I can hack something like this in a day or two with gtk-perl and
> http::request.

That sounds really good. You won't believe me when I say I already
thought of doing that... and having a "submit" system too, possibly the
ability to make a local cahce and keep it up to date..

I was hoping at some point to put together a "killer app" for handling
parts, but never got the pre-requisites to it done. (I've been busy
coding DBus support for PCB + xgsch2pcb, and cleaning up bits of gschem
for future refactoring).

You should be able to use DJ's gif rendering system to display the
remote symbols. I had intended (once gschem + libgeda were refactored),
to have a preview widget which is usable outside gschem. That would be
really handy in my parts manager,

I still hope to work on a parts-manager in the future. I've also been
wondering about the possibilities of plugging back-ends in to
communicate with <your favorite supplier>'s online catalog, and link to
datasheets, pricing etc.

(Again, all blue skies speculation, so I haven't posted... I prefer to
have time to do things before announcing my ideas if I would consider
implementing them! - And I think the latter idea is quite difficult
without co-operation of your suppliers anyway.)

Regards,

Peter C.