Re: gEDA-user: odd gschem behavior

Hi DJ,

I've changed most of the dialogs to use GtkDialog.
For other dialogs, like the component window I've set a parent window
using the gdk_window_set_transient_for() function.

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkDialog.html

It seems that different window managers have different behaviours on
that settings.

Which window manager do you use?

On Sunday 24 December 2006 06:34, DJ Delorie wrote:
> I just updated gaf, and gschem is acting oddly.  It looks like it has
> a "force my window on top" behavior, such that if I put some other
> window over it, just changing the focus to the gschem window
> (i.e. moving the mouse, no clicking) causes the gschem window to
> raise itself to the top.

Does it happen if you've only a gschem window open, or do you have a
gschem dialog open, too.

> This alone is bad; the window shouldn't try to second guess the user
> like this.

Yes, but I think the window manager is the problem here. The transient
for setting only tells that a dialog should stay in front of it's
parent window, not whether it should raise over other application
windows.

> It gets worse, though.  The component window does the same thing.  If
> I overlap the component window and the main window, they go to 100%
> cpu trying to raise themselves over each other, to the exclusion of
> other windows on my desktop.  I have to separate the windows to get
> the system to stop looping.

Mmh, I had the same problem with different settings and the kdm window
manager.

I'll investigate the problem after Christmas.

Regards
Werner