gEDA-user: Interesting Cygwin/X observation

(No, I haven't gotten the gEDA tools to work under Cygwin ...)

I'm running Cygwin/X on a XP box and ssh-ing into the Mac Book Pro (OS X 10.4.8).

When I run gschem, I'm greeted with an 'Xlib: extension "RENDER" missing on display "localhost:10.0".' message. gschem will crash soon afterwards.

After some googling, I find out that this has something to do with ssh tunnels and such.

If I get into the remote machine by doing:

$ ssh -X andy@dizbuster

I get the Xlib RENDER message.

If I get into the remote machine by doing:

$ ssh -Y andy@dizbuster

(using so-called "fake" authorization blah blah)

I don't get the message and gschem is stable.

Just an FYI ...

-a