Re: gEDA-user: Enlarged footprints for hand soldering -- name conventions

Stefan Salewski wrote:

>For hand soldering extended pads are necessary -- so I will create two
>versions.

>How should I name the official (manufacturer) and the extended
>footprints?

I have now discovered that just extending pads for hand soldering is not
a good solution for all footprints.

For DFN landpatterns the problem is, that the large center
pad is very close to the outer pads. Slight misalignment will cause
short-circuits.

Extending the small outer pads will improve soldering, but will make it
harder to place the device exactly in the center of the land pattern.

So it may be necessary to move the outer pads and to shrink the large center
pad. Maybe addition of special orientation marks for exact position of the
device may be useful.

So name extension like "XL", "+" or "M" which indicates enlarged footprints are
not very good for indication of footprints optimized for hand soldering.

Postscript "HS" seems to be good and is used by a few people, but may be
confused with "Heat Sink". Should we use "MS" for "Manual Soldering"?

I think "name_HS.fp" is not too bad, but maybe "name_MS.fp" is better?

Best regards

Stefan Salewski