Re: gEDA-user: uEDA .. was .. Re: Heavy Symbols and such

On Friday 07 December 2007 23:52:05 John Doty wrote:

> Right now, we, by default, reference light symbols in a common
> library, and then attach attributes to them. That's wrong, too: if
> I'm going to use a bunch of, say, OP220's in a design, I want all of
> them to have the same package and temperature spec. So, right now, I
> want to reference an editable heavy symbol here. I want neither the
> library symbol nor a bunch of separate embedded instances (hear that
> Peter? At best, your scheme gives me a separate instance per page. No
> good in a multipage schematic). But maybe the heavy symbol approach
> isn't right either.

Well, it's an improvement on the status quo at least.  I was going to suggest
multiple pages per schematic file, but I thought I might get trampled by
enraged users.

> Right now, the mechanics of browsing the libraries for a graphic,
> copying that to your project library, rescanning symbols to make it
> visible (arrrggh!), and then finally picking and placing it and going
> down into it to fix it up are clumsy. But if you don't do that, you
> may be in trouble down the road when you need to change a footprint
> or something. Or when somebody "fixes" a common library symbol in the
> next release.

Oooh, look, another argument for embedded symbols which work. :P

                                Peter

--
Peter Brett

Electronic Systems Engineer