Re: gEDA-user: ElementArc

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 21:21 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:
> Thanks again Peter,
> 	This is what I am about to start using.
> This is PCB, an interactive
> printed circuit board editor
> version 20070912

That version is the latest release, but as is, has a number of serious
usability bugs.

Two options..

Rebuild (or just install) the patched version I made. You have the
sources already.. I've uploaded the .deb package too:

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb_20070912-1CUED2_i386.deb
(Built on Gutsy)

You'll see a more simplified default layer-stack in PCB (solder,
component and outline), and the colour scheme is black background, light
drawing. These are all defaults which can be changed.

You might also like a menu category for "Electronics" things:
http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/electronics-menu_1.0-1_all.deb

The other option is to download PCB from CVS:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/pcb login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/pcb co -P pcb

cd pcb
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-dbus --enable-maintainer-mode
make
sudo make install

(Although you won't get the menu icon, as that is one of the things my
patched package adds).

> and gschem is version 1.0.1-20070626, not too old.

This should hopefully be fine. Some bugs have been fixed since, but they
weren't very commonly hit.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,