Re: gEDA-user: Shall we use letters (i.e. E, C, B ) for transsitor pin names?

Hi Stefan,

On Sonntag, 16. Dezember 2007, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Werner Hoch wrote:
> >I'm using BCE as pinnumber attributes as long the footprint of the
> >device (transistor) is not defined. Thus it's easy to replace them
> > when adding a footprint.
>
> Hm. Can we not use letters for pinnumbers in gschem-symbols and the
> same letters in the pcb footprint file?

Well, you can do that, but you would need a lot of footprint files to
catch all the different devices that have the same footprint/package.

Example:
A TO-92 footprint can contain a bipolar transistor, thus the pin names
would be B,C,E. If it's a FET the pin names should be G,S,D. For a 7805
voltage regultater it would be GND, Vin, Vout.

With pin numbers you only need one footprint for all the different
devices.

Regards
Werner