From: Levente <leventelist@xxxxxxxxx>
To: geda-user@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:33 am
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

Steve Meier <smeier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 23:22 +0000, Levente wrote:
>> peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>

>> The symbol files should be as light as possible, and we should make
them
>> heavy by adding information coming from the database.
>>

> So can we make a list of what should come from the light symbol and
what
> should be injected by the database?

Symbol file should only contain graphical objects, and a pin
identifiers,
which has nothing to do with pinnumbers. Maybe a refdes prefix could
included
in the symbol file, like "refdes=R?".

Footprint, value, description, documentation, model attributes, and pin
assignment information must come from the datebase. Moreover, gsch2pcb
could
be taught to use information coming from the database, such as
technology. For
example the same component can have different footprints for reflow,
wave
soldering, etc. So maybe we should make some rules in footprint name
format.
Such as, for example SOT23_R.fp meaning SOT23 package for reflow
technology.

I have been using successfully the pinseq attribute as pin identifier,
and
made a small algorithm to add pinnumbers according to pin assignment
information coming from the database.

--
Levente
http://web.interware.hu/lekovacs