Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

Peter TB Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

>> The symbol files should be as light as possible, and we should make them
>> heavy by adding information coming from the database.
>
> Totally agree.  Could we implement this by asking the backend to take care
> of where the symbols come from, and merge them with the database info before
> presenting them to gschem?  Or is this the wrong way?  Is it better to place
> a symbol, then invoke a special "select part" command?  My worry is that the
> latter option would make it easier to end up with a resistor which thinks
> it's an op-amp.

I've started to implement things in the first way, but I think it is a good
idea to have it with the later. For example when you just want to make a
sketch schematic input, without any knowledge of what the exact part would be.
Like you place a resistor, but you don't know its value, type, etc... Later,
you can go round, and choose the exact parts from the database.

Light symbols on the schematic (ones without attribute contents) should be
marked with some warning colour.

Thanks to gEDA developers that symbols are not embedded in the schematic by
default.

> The commercial tools I've used which implement such a parts database have
> used the former option -- OrCAD Capture CIS being the main example -- of
> generating heavy symbols by adding database info onto a small collection of
> light symbols.  But is this the best option for us?

At work, we use Zuken's System-designer (schematic capture) and Board-designer
(layout). They use the former approach.

--
Levente
http://web.interware.hu/lekovacs