Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 23:22:49 Levente wrote:
> I wanted to do that, but, to be honest, I have zero knowledge of gschem
> internals. I've tried to figure things out, but failed.

That's where I come in.

> I think we should have in rc files specification to database server(s), and
> a relative simple GUI to chouse components.

I think that, eventually, we should have some loadable Scheme modules that
provide convenient ways to specify database servers and schemas.  For the
time being, however, I don't see any reason not to stick to using some sort
of external helper programs for actually accessing the database, as long as
we can get the UI and basic Scheme API nailed down.

> You mentioned that you want to have the same UI.
> I think it is pretty hard to have the same UI for a file chooser and a DB
> client. I think it would be just fine to have another tab in the component
> selector window named "part database".

The current component library isn't a file chooser.  It's some sort of weird
file-chooser database-client hybrid thing.  It's a bit like a file chooser
that's pretending to be a database client, and being neither one thing nor
the other, it doesn't really work terribly well.

> The symbol files should be as light as possible, and we should make them
> heavy by adding information coming from the database.

Totally agree.  Could we implement this by asking the backend to take care of
where the symbols come from, and merge them with the database info before
presenting them to gschem?  Or is this the wrong way?  Is it better to place
a symbol, then invoke a special "select part" command?  My worry is that the
latter option would make it easier to end up with a resistor which thinks
it's an op-amp.

The commercial tools I've used which implement such a parts database have used
the former option -- OrCAD Capture CIS being the main example -- of
generating heavy symbols by adding database info onto a small collection of
light symbols.  But is this the best option for us?

> Here is my component chooser:
>
> http://logonex.eu/cgi-bin/viewvc/viewvc.cgi/pskel/
>
> And the database again:
>
> http://logonex.eu/phpmyadmin/index.php
>
> user: guest
> no password
>

> Sorry, if I am too boaring... just my EUR 0.02.

Not boring at all.  Thanks for your input.

                                Peter

--
Peter Brett

Electronic Systems Engineer