Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 23:59:50 Steve Meier wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 23:22 +0000, Levente wrote:
> > peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > The symbol files should be as light as possible, and we should make them
> > heavy by adding information coming from the database.
>
> So can we make a list of what should come from the light symbol and what
> should be injected by the database?

No, because we need to be back-compatible with all the heavy symbol libraries
people currently have.

(Or for that matter to use light symbols directly for documentation diagrams
without needing to having to faff around with a database).

That's not say that a specific database backend (even the *default* database
backend bundled with gEDA, if you like) can't specify that, but I'm
interested in what's going on at a level which is a step closer to the user
than that.

                                    Peter

--
Peter Brett