Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

> > pcb has a similar problem - there's nothing in the file format that
> > says "footprint name goes here".  However, I'm thinking we can just
> > store that in an attribute.
>
> It would then become ambiguous -- not to mention removing backward
> compatibility -- unless the database system was an optional add-on
> to another symbol-selection system.  I'd like to blend the database
> system in seemlessly if at all possible.

Are you talking about pcb or gschem?  pcb doesn't have *any* field for
the footprint name.  We've been hacking it into "description" but it's
already ambiguous, since there's no path information there.  If we
ever want to go beyond our one-level footprint "database" we need
something more robust for storing the footprint's origin.

I already think gsch2pcb should be using pcb attributes in its
namespace to store its information about footprints, not the
description field.