Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

> That is true. But why do we need this? Why should pcb know that the
> attribute "value=LM2596" came from a database, or from manual input,
> script generated?

I'm thinking of the case where an attribute is defaulted by some BOM
manager because it's the only option that fits.  For example, if you
pick a manufacturer's part number and a preferred vendor, the vendor
part number is defaulted.  This is different than picking a vendor
part number and letting the manufacturer be defaulted.

So later when you go to update a BOM, it's less likely to be trouble
if the user attempts to select conflicting attributes.  I'm not sure
how to resolve it, but knowing what data are "picked" and which are
"defaulted" will be useful for resolving conflicts, or at least
complaining to the user.  If we have data A, B, and C, and the user
changes A, we need to know whether to update B or C to resolve
conflicts.

I'm thinking of something like xfontsel, which has multiple fields
which can be set to a specific value or left as a wildcard.  If it's a
wildcard, the drop-down menu for that field only allows the values
which make sense given the other picked fields.  If you can't pick
what you want, you have to change some other picked fields to
wildcards.  For example, if I pick the adobe foundry, I can no longer
choose the arial family.  If I want arial, I wildcard the foundary and
choose the arial family.  If I then go to the foundry menu, only
monotype is available.  In the geda sense, "monotype" is now a
defaulted value - there's only one option, but it wasn't explicitly
selected by the user, so it doesn't restrict other choices.