Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

On Wednesday 19 December 2007 20:28:22 John Griessen wrote:
> Levente wrote:
> > Peter TB Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> - Each symbol (or part) has to be uniquely identified by a string, and
> >> each database/website/directory gets queried in reverse order of being
> >> added to the library.  This is as currently.
>
> But not for all time.  can't it just stay in database only for its purposes
> of sifting? Why have UUID numbers in the schematic?
>
> [snip]
>
> Me too.  I don't want to get stuck inoperable without finding the mate to a
> long UUID style string of identifier numbers.

They don't have to be, it's just a string.  It could be "118-555-0a8e" if you
want.  It could be "ECap-Panasonic-EEEFK1A471P".  It's just a string that
identifies the component.  It has to be unique within the database in
question, it doesn't have to be globally unique like a GUID *shudder*.

                                   Peter

--
Peter Brett

Electronic Systems Engineer