Re: gEDA-user: Parts DB API

On Tuesday 18 December 2007 18:52:39 peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What I would quite like to do is to implement something similar to what
> has been described, especially since I have found a major bug which only
> (yet another) serious component library API change will fix.

I'd like to point out that it would be best if it could be done in a way that
is actually going to be achievable.

For instance, "Rewrite gattrib & gschem to use an entirely new paradigm of
separate BOM & schematic" is not achievable.  Neither is, "Rewrite libgeda to
allow multiple programs to have the file open at once and collaborate using
IPC," I'm afraid.

Unless someone's volunteering to employ me to do it over next summer, in which
case you can have that, but it'll cost you!

"Rewrite the component library C & Scheme APIs, and make a new GUI for it in
gschem" is achievable (just).  Ideally, I'd like to be able to do it in a
tidy, self-contained way.

                                  Peter

--
Peter Brett