Re: gEDA-user: Fwd: Parts DB API: the story so far

John Doty wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Steve Meier wrote:
>

>> From the discussion, I am unclear on support for or against using a
>> relational database to organize the data flow?
>>
>> I do hear concerns about not having to rely upon a web bassed system.
>>
>> I do hear concerns about not wanting to require users to run a
>> database
>> engine.
>>
>> I have expressed concerns that the data isn't flat and thus isn't
>> suitable for flat files.
>>

> The maps within a relational database *are* flat, and may be
> expressed as flat files. I have seen such an implementation. So, I
> think this is a false dichotomy.
>
> I think the issue at hand is to design an interface that allows the
> separation of textual information from graphics, and get something
> simple on the text side. We won't get to the perfect implementation
> in one leap. But with an interface, you can start thinking of how to
> hook your RDB in.
>
> The critical thing is to be able to name sets of attributes, and then
> obtain them by name from something outside the schematic.

I think the process is a bit more complex, or at least it is dodging the
issue of where these attributes are going to come from and how to select
them.

Yes an interface has to be defined.

Yes the attribute (or data structure requirements) have to be defined.

The point of the rdb engine over flat files is avoid writting a lot of
code to handle the flat files. Code that would be a lot of work and in
the end would likely be a rdb engine (in my opnion). Why not just use an
rdb to start with?

One argument against the rdb engine is not wanting to impose it upon
users (make them install it).

This argument can be over come by using an internet based system and
making the installation of the rdb engine optional.

Then there are those who would want local storage of the data, so
installing the rdb would have to be optional and being able to synch at
least downward from the network data to local data would be needed.

I am not a proponent for continuing the existing method of
distributing/using symbols, landpatterns and models.

I suspect that a lot of these issues really are next generation (libgeda
version 3) issues.

Thanks,

Steve Meier